The Shape of Fantasy, shortlisted twice for the Mythopoeic Award, is now out in paperback!!
The Shape of Fantasy examines structural and narrative patterns of Fantasy with models derived from science and philosophy.
The authors and novels examined in the book are:
- Lois McMaster Bujold (The Curse of Chalion, 2001)
- Mercedes Lackey (The Fairy Godmother, 2004)
- Robert Jordan (The Great Hunt, 1990)
- David Farland (The Wyrmling Horde, 2008)
- Gail Z. Martin (The Summoner, 2007)
- Terry Goodkind (Stone of Tears, 1995)
- James Clemens (Shadowfall, 2006)
- Brandon Sanderson (Hero of Ages, 2008)
- David and Leigh Eddings (The Seeress of Kell, 1991)
- and Anne McCaffrey (All the Weyrs of Pern, 1991)
Sideways in Time
A collection of essays on alternate history.
Check out the table of contents HERE.
“The Shape of a Hero’s Soul”
A chapter on fate and free will in Lois McMaster Bujold’s The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls.
Check out a description HERE.
“Imperialism as ‘Evil’ in Epic Fantasy”
Co-authored with Matthew J. Elder
A chapter that examines the works of David Eddings, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, and Peter V. Brett
Check out of a description HERE.
“Breaking Out of Eden: Science Fiction as a New Mythology in Robert J. Sawyer’s Writings”
Check out details here.
“Expelling a Monstrous Matriarchy”
“Casting Cersei Lannister as Abject in A Song of Ice and Fire“
An article that examines power structures in George R. R. Martin’s novel series.
Check out details HERE.
“The Evolution of the Arthurian Love Triangle”.
A survey of the evolution of love triangles in contemporary Arthurian rewritings
Check out details here.
Editorials, Reviews, and Essays
- “A Brilliant Madness: The Slow Burn of Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive.” A Review of Brandon Sanderson’s Oathbringer (2017). Look for it here: Fantastika Journal, vol. 3, issue 1, January 2019.
- “The Problems of Atwood.” A discussion on The Handmaid’s Tale novel. Check it out at: Fantastika Journal. Fantastika Essays. 4 December 2018.
- “Defining ‘Fantastika’: Inviting Authors and Reviewers for Fantastika Journal.” A short description of the umbrella genre of Fantastika. Read it here: University of Birmingham Popular Literature. 4 December 2018.
- “Excavations of Genre Barriers: Breaking New Ground with Fantastika Journal.” An editorial as head editor of Fantastika Jurnal for its inaugural issue. Check it out here: Fantastika Journal 1.1 (April 2017)
- “‘How does one get a job with an English degree?’ Charul Patel reflects on life, literature and the LRB.” A reflection on reviews and publications. Read it here: Authors and the World. 13 May 2015.