The Shape of Fantasy examines structural and narrative patterns of Fantasy with models derived from science and philosophy.
The authors and novels examined in the book are:
- Lois McMaster Bujold (The Curse of Chalion, 2001)
- Mercedes Lackey (The Fairy Godmother, 2004)
- Robert Jordan (The Great Hunt, 1990)
- David Farland (The Wyrmling Horde, 2008)
- Gail Z. Martin (The Summoner, 2007)
- Terry Goodkind (Stone of Tears, 1995)
- James Clemens (Shadowfall, 2006)
- Brandon Sanderson (Hero of Ages, 2008)
- David and Leigh Eddings (The Seeress of Kell, 1991)
- and Anne McCaffrey (All the Weyrs of Pern, 1991)
Sideways in Time
A collection of essays on alternate history.
Check out the table of contents HERE.
“The Shape of a Hero’s Soul”
A chapter on fate and free will in Lois McMaster Bujold’s The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls.
Check out a description HERE.
“Imperialism as ‘Evil’ in Epic Fantasy”
Co-authored with Matthew J. Elder
A chapter that examines the works of David Eddings, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, and Peter V. Brett
Check out of a description HERE.
“Breaking Out of Eden: Science Fiction as a New Mythology in Robert J. Sawyer’s Writings”
Check out details here.
“Expelling a Monstrous Matriarchy”
“Casting Cersei Lannister as Abject in A Song of Ice and Fire“
An article that examines power structures in George R. R. Martin’s novel series.
Check out details HERE.
“The Evolution of the Arthurian Love Triangle”.
A survey of the evolution of love triangles in contemporary Arthurian rewritings
Check out details here.
Editorials, Reviews, and Essays
- “A Brilliant Madness: The Slow Burn of Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive.” A Review of Brandon Sanderson’s Oathbringer (2017). Look for it here: Fantastika Journal, vol. 3, issue 1, January 2019.
- “The Problems of Atwood.” A discussion on The Handmaid’s Tale novel. Check it out at: Fantastika Journal. Fantastika Essays. 4 December 2018.
- “Defining ‘Fantastika’: Inviting Authors and Reviewers for Fantastika Journal.” A short description of the umbrella genre of Fantastika. Read it here: University of Birmingham Popular Literature. 4 December 2018.
- “Excavations of Genre Barriers: Breaking New Ground with Fantastika Journal.” An editorial as head editor of Fantastika Jurnal for its inaugural issue. Check it out here: Fantastika Journal 1.1 (April 2017)
- “‘How does one get a job with an English degree?’ Charul Patel reflects on life, literature and the LRB.” A reflection on reviews and publications. Read it here: Authors and the World. 13 May 2015.